Spiritual Transcendence: A Letter To The Self

I wrote this in September 2019. I have come a long way since writing this. Some of my beliefs and values have changed but for the most part, a lot remains intact except this crazy ridiculous belief that to be a true artist I have to starve and suffer.

I no longer come from that thinking space and that is one of the reasons why I am currently not starving as an artist. What you believe about yourself is vital when it comes to the outcome of your life, your accomplishments/lack thereof. Change your thinking, change your life. I hope you find something of value from this letter.

Read the full letter below. ❤️

September 2019

I have become so identified with the belief that I am a starving artist that my actions and thought patterns portray that, leading to a frustrated and disconnected life. My beliefs have shaped my depression. I need to let go of the labels I have put about my life, and be present in the moment to everything I am doing, taking it one step at a time, and whoever I am supposed to be will unfold eventually.

Do not become so identified with what you do that it becomes your sense of self, whether that be your job, or your role as a daughter, a mother or a CEO because once you lose that thing or feel like it is no longer within your grasp, then you get thrown down into a state of confusion, helplessness and depression.

I should not be attached to or defined by my role as an artist because it is only temporary, and a balance that must happen between my human form for me to survive, and my being. Being an artist is not my life. There is no my life because I am the life. The universe is experiencing things through my temporary human form, and when it is no more, that energy or essence of my being, cannot and will not die with the human form instead, it continue to be as it always has and will, hence immortality. There is no need to be fearful of death.

What I should do however, is find a way to discard my ego, and the need to be great, because that need is exactly what is taking the power of that greatness away from me. I should not look at things from an egoistic point of view instead I should try to not judge the situation I am in and instead take it as it is because my reaction to the situation is what will determine the outcome of the situation. Reactions are fueled by the way I perceive the situation and the energy that I have around me. If I am calm, I will transmit this calm energy to my situation making the situation reflect my calmness, hence making me be at peace with my inner self, and so on.

Achieving inner peace, or this heightened state of self-awareness or consciousness can only come from within and only if I am fully present in the moment of whatever it is I am doing, not attaching any labels to it and just being there! Presence creates possibilities. Live in the present moment.

I can exist in my dreams and ambitions as I authentically am. There is no way to bring upon positive change in my life if I constantly believe that I am who, the people that have watered my self-doubt, say I am. Change can prove to be difficult but at the end of the day, it all starts from within. That’s where the ignition to this Ferrari of a life begins: within.

What I believe, I portray. If I believe that I’m not good enough, then I’ll act like I’m not good enough. However, if I firmly believe that I am capable of anything, then the change I seek will come because my actions will reflect exactly that.

What we consume we become. Whatever state you are in transmits itself to others. Be more aware and know what helps you relax, for real. For me, surprisingly enough, it’s not even in the element of being an artist or the makeup of one, rather, it’s in taking a good long hot shower. That is how I bring myself back to the present and relax, and that is what I should go do right now.

Yours,

Kendi.

Related posts:

PS: Once upon a time, a song was produced. Listen below and download for free if you like it.

9 Comments Add yours

1. Efrona Mor says:

I read back on my old stuff and crack up too.. this is a nice article. You wrote,”What I believe, I portray. If I believe that I’m not good enough, then I’ll act like I’m not good enough.” So true!! .Happy Friday

Liked by 1 person

1. KENDI KARIMI says:

It feels like a trip rereading some of my old journals, especially the ones I wrote when I was a teenager. I crack up so much. I’ll probably be laughing at some of the things I’m writing right now twenty years down the line. Life!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Efrona. 🤗

2. cath says:

Nice song.
    It’s good being able to look back at the journey we’ve been on. Thanks for sharing yours, and your reflections on it. There are some lovely phrases, I do like, ‘what we consume we become’.

Liked by 1 person

1. KENDI KARIMI says:

Yes. Reflection is necessary for proper current correction and future alteration. Thank you Cath. 🤗

Liked by 1 person

3. Bumba says:

The stereotype of the artist as long-suffering and depressed is a stereotype to avoid. The economics of being an artist are at the root of it, I suppose. My father used to say ” Rich or poor, it’s good to have money”.

Liked by 1 person

1. KENDI KARIMI says:

Wise words because it really is. But sometimes I tend to think that stereotypes, though exaggerated, are still rooted on some very firm truths about certain realities. Either way, it is best to avoid that suffering artist stereotype if you can. Art has always gone along with immense wealth. No reason why it can be you or me or anyone else to join that party.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. 🤗

Liked by 1 person

1. Bumba says:

That’s true. And most all the scholarship and art before 20th century was by the aristocracy. OK, there were exceptions like Shakespeare, Homer, Aesop. Main thing is don’t get depressed!

4. Insightful post. I enjoyed reading your journal entry. I have journaled since I was a young child. There is something about seeing handwriting – like our fingerprints, it is unique to us. Your journal entry reminds me of a poem I wrote, titled “Roles.” It is in my chapbook (not on my blog), but I would be happy to send it to you, if you are interested.

Liked by 1 person

1. KENDI KARIMI says:

There is something so magical about hand written things. Even hand-made stuff. Thank you for reading and I’m so happy you enjoyed yourself. I’d be honored to read Roles as I find your writing quite enjoyable. Feels like a special treat. You can send it here on WordPress or to my email kendik.biz@gmail.com. Whichever you’re comfortable with. 🤗